Wednesday 16 January 2013

Looking in the mirror I see reflections...


Hey peeps! It's been a while! Hope everyone's Christmas was a great one. For me, I was given a lot of time to reflect on just how much things have changed in such a short space of time! Just thought some of you might be interested in what my feelings are now I've well and truly become a Youth Worker! - It's still a little surreal to say to myself.

Wow, thinking about it, I can’t believe 4 months have gone by. It's going so quickly but at the same time I’m glad as it means I have had a good amount of time to build up relationships, not only with the young people but with the whole church family at Cornerstone. As I have expressed many times before I’ve been able to settle in so well but that is down to the fantastic support I’ve had from everyone here. I’ve certainly felt so welcomed and valued every time I walk through the doors, which has been exactly what I needed. Lots of prayer has resulted in the transition of moving from Trinity, my home church, being very easy. As many know, this was my main concern before I started, having never moved churches before and spending at least 16 years somewhere where they have been so supportive and loyal towards me. But from Day 1, I’ve felt at home here. 

Now that I feel I have a set routine in place, I’ve found I’ve been able to manage my time impacting on how I’ve been able to prepare and deliver sessions or just be of help wherever. Most of which have been very beneficial to me and hopefully the youth too! I've already seen God working in different ways across the organisations, It's been great to see. 

Moorlands College so far has been an experience! Very challenging but fantastic at the same time, having had 2 module study weeks already and regular lectures on a Tuesday. The community side of it has been amazing, very similar to Cornerstone in a sense. I love networking and the friends I have already made have helped me expand that. I’ve begun to realise Christian circles, in youth ministry especially, are very small! And once again the support I’ve had from peers and staff have been great. 

Being able to study the Bible and take on a new angle of looking at God hasn’t been plain sailing but already in this short space of time of one semester, it has had great benefits on my work here and personal faith. With Youth Club straight after, I can find Tuesdays very intense and will have to be careful not to “over-do” it as it is quite physically demanding but I feel there are suitable ways of dealing with that in place. 

In terms of assignments, naturally I have found them challenging going from A Level to Degree standard. I know it is something to keep an eye on as they will need to improve in quality as I continue on in the course, but hopefully that’s just part of the learning process. So far I have completed 4 assignments with another due in January. 

Its a new year and I can see it being a great one for my work & hopefully for personal reasons too :) We never know what's round the corner or what lies straight ahead but with the guidance of my - our saviour, I'm feeling pretty assured and confident about it all.

Cheers! Love and blessings.


@CHURC_SYW / #CornerYouth - for more regular thoughts by me and updates of my work. If you know what these mean, you know the drill :)

No comments:

Post a Comment